My birthday came and went, with nothing special happening. Odd days.. these things. And for once I decided to take a day off and do anything I wanted to do (and was capable off) and for the first time in a couple of months, I found myself utterly bored. In the end I resorted to philosophy by staring out the window and thinking about things. (my mom did come over though, which was great :) )
Setbacks hit once again, just as it looked like things were picking up at a nice pace. I suppose that's the wheel of fate, but there's nothing much I can do about it except to keep going on what I've been doing all along. I have great sundowns and sunrises these days, and I've yet to be ill, so I'll work things out :) Tan worries a lot, though, in the meanwhile.
Silly as it sounds, but one of our cats passed away, and I was very saddened by it. She was the daughter of one of previous cats and I helped her being born, and tried to raise her when her mother didn't want her anymore. She just became part of this odd bunch of creatures in my family, and we all loved her very very much. Some people see pets just as animals, and nothing more, but it's as if I lost something of my close family and it hurts a lot. I hope she's fine now, and I'm glad she went quickly, when it was her time to go. I regret not being there when she left, but I was unable to be there, living far away and it being very late at night, but that's how it goes.
As for drawing, I've more been trying to put together a portfolio and a c.v. to send to people after Coded Illusions fell apart last month. All of us are sort of shipwrecked but many are being adopted by other companies, so it's time for me to join the fray. My job, a few migraine attacks and the loss of our cat, together with the work I had to do for graduation and my birthday and other appointments made it a bit hard to make very revolutionary things, but I dabbled on anyway. Here's a few things I've been working on;
This was more a sort of speedpainting, but the progress was kinda fun to see. In the end I stopped working on it because I was killing it. I have yet to learn when to stop, review, continue, stop/finish. Especially that last part is still awfully tricky.



I thought that when I came here, it was so incredibly bright and shiny and light and blue and dominating that I tossed everything aside.

Would I change things now? Oh yes.. I'm not pleased with the blue light at all. I may remake this into a daylight version where all the lights are switched off and it returns to my original idea for a place, which is in the middle of a humid hot mayan complex in a big big-foliaged jungle. It's far off as it is now, isn't it? Oh you bet...
I also didn't like the amount of bright light coming off the whole structure (it's a sort of old human/alien built structure around a well) and I wanted it to become more alien without it being less natural somewhat. So I covered the place up with rock and rather made it appear as if the wear and tear of the climate made the 'real' crystaline structure of the top half appear. Like bronze statues look different where they've been touched often. Or how you can scrape off paint to reveal the underlying color or texture, something like that.
What do I like about it? The process. I loved just going nuts on the painting of it, and I mean the painting and not just the rational colorpicking and static perfection I tend to go for. Just rough colours, rough brush strokes, and see where we end up. Good fun :)
No comments:
Post a Comment